Before you apply for job at Flight Centre
Since before Christmas the Flight Centre have been advertising for new travel consultants. I thought this week I would apply to see what the job entailed and also out of curiosity as to why they are so heavily advising.
Within hours I had an invitation to attend a phone interview. The email package provided (download a copy):
- information about the job
- a quiz
- philosophies of the company
- (cherry picked) staff testimonials.
Warning bells started ringing when I read the information about the job. Here are the warning highlights:
- base salary of $39,920 for 40 hours a week but you will be expected to work much more than that. Reviews and interviews with ex-employees indicate expectations to work above these hours, attend meetings, social gatherings all without additional payment.
- the company offers a commission but again the reviews and interviews indicate that these commissions are gained via less than orthodox means. The examples show that the commissions may (or may not) make up for the loss of base income.
- the company does not hide that you will be expected to turn up to work early (before shift), lunch breaks (or any breaks) are put on hold if busy.
There is no indication as a Flight Centre employee you will be paid overtime for hours worked above and beyond the 40 hours. The hourly rate at 40 hours a week is only $19.20 but if you work the 50 hours that many staff have stated they work it will be a mere $15.35 an hour!
In my opinion this is slave labour of which you hope you make enough in commissions to bolster your weekly pay. I am stumped as to how the Flight Centre get away with it quite honestly.
The links at the end of this will take you to reviews of the company from ex-employees that state:
- unpaid overtime
- unscrupulously increasing travel quotes for customers
- being forced to attend “social” functions
- being forced to attend meetings outside of shift times
- being expected to start work for meetings before shift start times
Just one other note the more recent customer experiences regarding services received by Flight Centre are not encouraging and you should consider booking your next holiday yourself or via a more reputable company.