Visit Art Galleries & Museums Virtually
Why miss out on visiting some of the worlds most iconic art galleries and museums during the Covid-19 lockdown?
Spend an hour or 2 in your favourite gallery or museum or visit one you have never been to.
This detailed list gives you all the best places to visit art galleries and museums. Most are virtual so you can tour as if you are there.
In addition to the list below of museums and art galleries Google have teamed with 1200 or so institutions globally to bring exhibitions and virtual tours to us all. They have called it the Google Art Project and is a feast in just one place.
- The Lourve – 4 virtual exhibitions within the iconic Lourve in Paris. Probably not one of the best virtual galleries in this list but it certainly will get you through until you get to visit the real thing.
- Musée d’Orsay in Paris currently offers 1 virtual tour online that not only includes beautiful works of art but shows the stunning interior of the Gare d’Orsay (a former railway station and hotel). This is the home of Cézanne, Monet and other French masters. In addition there are hundreds of beautiful paintings for you to enjoy.
- Musei Vaticani in the Vatican City is a must visit online with 7 high quality virtual tours available including the Sistine Chapel. While you are at the Vatican why not take a virtual tour of the City.
- Guggenheim Bilbao in Spain has a number of online art exhibits giving you a visual feast.
- Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam provides art exhibitions that take you close to Vermeer, Rembrandt and other Dutch masters. Check out the virtual tour in addition to the exhibits. You can also explore the great hall as well. In addition you can access via YouTube video stories
- Dalí Theatre-Museum in the town of Catalonia, Spain is dedicated solely to the works of Salvador Dalí. Take the virtual tour.
- Uffizi Gallery in Firenze, Italy provides a number of online exhibits and collections.
United States of America
- Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York, New York is a feast for the mind and the eyes. You will spend a long time on this site as there are loads to see and enjoy. Included are works from Franz Marc, Piet Mondrian, Pablo Picasso, and Jeff Koons.
- National Gallery of Art in Washington provides visual delight of virtual tours, beautiful exhibits, audios and videos.
- Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History in Washington is one of the most visited museums in the world. Take an amazing virtual tour, the best virtual tours in this list.
- NASA has a couple of options for virtual touring the Langley Research Center located in Virginia and the Glenn Research Center in Ohio. There is also access to a virtual tour via an app at The Space Centre in Houston.
- The National Womens History Museum in Alexandria, Virgina has a large number of online exhibits depicting women in history.
- National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, Ohio is the official museum of the United States Air Force and offers a number of free virtual tours and online museum exhibits.
- The British Museum takes you on a global virtual journey using your phone or device. View collections and exhibits.
- Tate Britain in London offers a number of online exhibits and artist collections.
- National Gallery of Victoria, Melbourne has a large range of art collections online as well as videos and a small number of virtual tours.
- Australian Museum in Sydney is Australia’s oldest museum. The virtual tour will take you through the exhibits.
- National Gallery of Australia, Canberra has a collection of virtual exhibits from a variety of artists.
- Art Gallery NSW, Sydney has thousands of art works in their collection available online for viewing.
- Australian National Surfing Museum in Torquay provides collections and exhibits for those who love surfing and water.
- Australian National Maritime Museum, Sydney has a very large range of virtual tours, exhibitions and collections online including games for the kids.
- Te Papa, Wellington has over 800,000 pieces in their online collection. Not as user friendly as some sites but still worth a visit.